Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions will apply to all contracts in respect of which you have requested us to arrange for the carriage of goods. You acknowledge and accept that you have read, understood and agreed to these terms and conditions prior to booking a move with us.
“us”, “our” or “we” means Star of Moving.
“you” or “your” means the authorized person booking the carriage of goods or similar services to be carried out by us.
“goods” means any good or item which you have requested to be carried or arranged to be carried by us.
- We are not common carriers and accept no liability as such.
- We reserve the right to refuse to quote for the carriage of goods for any particular reason and for carriage of any goods or classes of goods at our discretion.
- You acknowledge and accept that any pick up/delivery time or date advised by us is indicative only and is not guaranteed to be met. If there is a pickup/ delivery time or date which in our opinion cannot be reasonably met, then we reserve the right to alter that time or date at any time before the commencement of the move.
- Due to OH&S issues, we expect your items to be of a standard cleanliness and we have the right to refuse to move items considered by our movers as dirty. All your items should be put into boxes and the boxes are suitable for moving. We will not move boxes that are not strong enough to carry the items that have been placed in them.
- If our removalists believe there are safety risks or the work being requested is not suitable for our removalists and/or equipment we have the right to refuse to undertake the work.
Local Moves (within the same state)
- Our rates start from the time loading commences until the completion of the move at the final destination address.
- A call-out fee will be charged on moves to cover our travel expenses travelling to and from the move. This fee will be quoted to you prior to your move.
- All moves incur a 2-hour minimum charge.
- Any waste disposal fees incurred during the move will be charged to you.
- All moving estimates given verbally (i.e. over the phone or email) cannot be considered a fixed cost. The minimum fee is not a fixed costing of the move.
- We provide a quote for a number of trucks and removalists which is based on the information you have provided over phone and or email us about your property. This does not guarantee the work will be completed within a certain timeframe or that additional resources may not be required on the day if our removalists believe it is necessary to complete the work in a given timeframe.
Please notify us if you have any of the following items:
- Double Door or Commercial Refrigerator;
- Items made from marble;
- Glass Table tops or cabinets;
- Pool or Snooker Tables (we do not move commercial pool tables or any heavier than approximately 350kg);
- Large Pot Plants that have not been cleaned;
- Animal enclosures, fish tanks, etc.;
- Any items heavier than 80kg;
- Any items larger than 3 meters in length;
- Sensitive and/or delicate items such as fishing rods.
We reserve the right not to move any of the above listed items if we were not informed of such items at the time of the booking. There may also be additional charges for moving any of the above items.
Your Obligations and Warranties
- You warrant that any information that you have provided to us, and on which we have reasonably relied in assessing any quotation or estimate of the resources necessary to carry out the work, is accurate.
- You warrant that, in entering into this agreement, you are either the owner of the goods, or the authorized agent of the owner of the goods.
- You must ensure that you or a person acting on your behalf is present at all times when the goods are loaded or unloaded. You agree that we will not be held responsible or liable for goods not collected or any loss of or damage to goods if you or a person acting on your behalf is not present, for any amount of time, during the loading and/or unloading of the goods.
- You should inspect all the goods as they are unloaded and/or relocated. If there is any loss of or damage to goods that you consider to have been caused by us, please ensure you notify our office no later than 48 hours after completion of the job. Unless you advise us within 48 hours of completion of the job, we will not be responsible or liable for any such alleged loss or damage.
- You must sign the job sheet on completion of the move. If you fail to sign the job sheet on completion of the move it will take as if you were not present at loading/unloading and that no loss or damage has been identified and therefore we will have no liability as detailed under the points above.
- You warrant that the goods do not include any firearms or goods which are or may become of a dangerous, corrosive, highly combustible, explosive, damaging or noxious nature nor likely to encourage any vermin or pest unless you have disclosed to us in writing the presence and nature of any such items prior to them being made available to us for loading or storage. We may refuse to remove or store such items. If we discover any article or substance of this nature after the goods have been received by us, we may take any reasonable action, including destruction or disposal, as we may think fit without incurring any liability to you.
- You must, prior to the commencement of the removal or storage, given to us written notice of any goods which are of a fragile or brittle nature and which are not readily apparent as such, or which comprise jewelry, precious objects, works of art, money, collections of items or precision equipment in any case having a value in excess of $1,000.
- You must ensure, to the best of your ability, that all goods to be removed (other than goods being removed from store) or stored are uplifted by us and that none is taken in error.
- We expect you to be polite and not rude to our movers, we reserve the right to not complete a job if you or the people in your property are not acting in a professional manner.
- You are expected to do a final inspection of your property prior to our removalists leaving to ensure that nothing has been left behind and that all tasks requested have been completed. You should ensure all power, taps, etc. are off and doors, windows and garages are locked.
- Prior to our removalists arriving, you should disconnect all appliances from power and any hoses should be disconnected from their taps. You should also remove items such as TVs from any brackets/walls.
- If you have not done the above, our removalists will do what they can in terms of removing items from walls or disconnecting and re-connecting appliances, however they are not plumbers, electricians or handyman and as such we cannot guarantee or warrant those tasks. You should have a licensed plumber/electrician/handyman attend to these items or check these tasks once they have been completed.
We will not be bound to deliver the goods except to you or a person authorized in writing by you to receive the goods. If we cannot deliver the goods either because there is no authorized person there to receive them on our arrival, or because we cannot gain access to the premises, or for any other reason beyond our control, we will be entitled to unload the goods into a warehouse, and will be entitled to charge an additional amount for storage and for the subsequent re-delivery of the goods. If this happens, we will endeavor to contact you to ascertain whether you have any alternate instructions.
- Local moves (i.e. moves within the same state) cancelled, rescheduled or placed on hold at least 48 hours prior to estimated arrival time will incur no fee.
- For local moves, the deposit will be automatically forfeited for any move cancelled, rescheduled or placed on hold within 48 hours of the estimated arrival time.
- Any move cancelled, rescheduled or placed on hold within 24 hours of the estimated arrival time will incur the minimum 2-hour charge. This will be charged onto the same credit card you paid with the deposit with unless you provide an alternative credit card at the time of cancellation.
- If we have to cancel your move for any reason your deposit will be refunded.
- Our quotes are subject to availability at the time the quote was provided to you. We give no guarantee there will be availability if you book at a later date. If we are unable to offer you our service during your requested time slot due to no availability, we will provide you with a refund.
Payment and Deposits
Local Moves (within the same state)
- A $50 deposit is required to secure your local booking. The deposit is non-refundable subject to the applicable Cancellation Policy in clause 6 above.
- You must pay the full amount due (less the deposit) (“amount due”) on completion of the move either by cash or credit card. You must ensure that you have the payment available in either cash or credit card.
- If you do decide to pay by credit card, you expressly authorize us to process the credit card payment for the amount due (on the credit card provided by you, or if no credit card is provided, then the credit card used for the original deposit) within one (1) business day of completion of the move regardless of whether there is any dispute in relation to the move. To avoid any doubt, even if there is a dispute for any reason, you must still pay the amount due on completion of the move and you expressly authorize us to process the credit card payment for the amount due. Any dispute must be resolved after the completion of the move via the dispute resolution provisions in clause 16.
- If you are not present at the completion of the move you expressly authorize us to process the credit card payment for the amount due on the credit card used for the original deposit.
- If payment of the remaining amount is not received or is unable to be processed within seven (7) days of completion of the move then the collection of the amount due will be passed to a debt collection agency and you will be subject to the debt collection agency fees.
- Additional charges: some of our movers carry bubble wrap and shrink wrap and offer these services as additional services to the normal removal service. If you request bubble wrapping of some of your products or shrink wrapping of your products these will incur an additional charge which will be discussed with you by the removalists prior to them undertaking this work. This amount will also be written on the job sheet and charged upon completion of the move.
- Without limitation and at our Star of Moving discretion, upon unloading your goods, Star of Moving reserves the right to withhold some of your goods in the truck until the final payment has been made.
- As noted above we accept either cash (where applicable) or credit card as forms of payment. Cheque is not accepted unless pre authorized with us.
- The customer may not withhold any part of the amount due or additional charges.
- If we have arranged for your goods to be moved into storage, your credit card will be charged for the removal services once the unloading has been finished at the storage depot for the time and travel fee involved. You expressly authorize us to charge your credit card and sign off on the time it took to complete this work if you are not present at the time of unloading at the storage depot.
- Recovery for legal costs. You are liable for any additional cost(s) incurred by us, as a result of having to recover overdue or outstanding monies from you.
- Goods held in lieu of payment. We reserve the right to seize or hold the goods and where you fail to pay any amount due, dispose of or sell goods in lieu of payment. We may dispose of goods in lieu of payment after a period of 28 days (28) days from the completion of the move.
- If your goods are in our storage facility or in storage under our arrangement, we will not provide any access under any circumstances to your goods until you have paid for the removal services and storage services in full. Alternatively, Star of Moving has authority to charge your credit card for the amount stated on the job sheet. If you have any disputes regarding the work performed, you should contact the office during office hours to have this resolved. This is not reason to withhold payment or part of payment.
We endeavor to always quote the correct vehicle for your move. However, our decisions are based on the information we are provided by you over the phone or when you completed our online enquiry form. We will not be liable if the truck provided is too small for a single move and multiple moves are required.
Method of Carriage and Subcontractors
- We will be entitled to carry the goods by any reasonable route (having regard to all the circumstances including the nature and destination of any other goods being carried on the vehicle) any by any reasonable means.
- We reserve the right, at our discretion, and without notice to you to subcontract all or part of the carriage of goods, and as a result of such, you indemnify us for any delay or damage due to any act or omission of the subcontractor, its employees or agents.
- Any provisions in these conditions which limit our liability also apply to our employees and our subcontractors and their employees.
Risk and Title
- All risk in the goods will pass to you on delivery.
- All of your goods received by us will be subject to general lien for any monies owed by you to us as a result of this Contract.
- Title in the goods will not pass to you until we have been paid in full for the move.
Loss or Damage – Private Removals and Storage
- These terms and conditions are in addition to any other rights or remedies that you may have under the Canadian Consumer law. Those additional remedies remain to the extent that they cannot be excluded. To the extent that they can be excluded they are. Where they cannot be excluded then such rights and remedies are modified to the extent permitted by law.
- You must notify our office in writing within 48 hours of completion of the job if there is any damage/loss to your goods. Failure to notify us within this period means we will not be responsible or liable for any such alleged loss or damage.
- If the goods sustain damage by reason of defective or inadequate packaging, packing or unpacking, and the packing or unpacking (as the case may be) was not undertaken by us or our subcontractor, we will not be liable for any loss or damage to the goods. It is your responsibility to ensure your goods are properly packaged and protected in a suitable manner for transport. Star of Moving takes no responsibility for goods damaged during transport that were not adequately protected using packaging.
- For minor cosmetic damage such as marks, scuffs, scratches and dents, Star of Moving will pay $50 per item damaged.
- Certain goods (including without limitation electrical and mechanical appliances, computer equipment, scientific instruments, musical instruments and old or self-assembled furniture) are inherently susceptible to suffer damage or disorder upon removal. Unless that damage or disorder results from the want of due care and skill on our part, we will not be liable for any loss or damage to the goods.
- Irrespective of any damage or loss that may have been caused by Star of Moving, you will still need to make complete payment upon completion of unloading your goods. For any claim for damage or loss you will need to contact the office so that the normal process for claims can be followed.
- We are not liable for any damage not caused by us or which results from any cause beyond our control.
- Notwithstanding anything contained in these terms we will only be responsible or liable for loss or damage to goods where such loss or damage can be proven (without reasonable doubt) to have been caused by our negligence.
- Where an item is part of a pair or set of items, repair or compensation will extend only to the proportionate part of the pair or set of items.
- All packaging materials are at an additional cost to the client. Please organize your boxes directly with Star of Moving on email or phone
- Our removalists will not collect used butchers paper or rubbish. It is the clients’ duty to dispose of these.